Shredded Wheat Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound dried cavatelli pasta
- 1 bunch fresh thyme (about the diameter of a quarter)
- 1 ½ tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 medium Spanish onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ cup white wine
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 3 cups half and half
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ cups Grafton cheddar cheese (grated)
- ¼ tsp nutmeg (freshly grated)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups Post Shredded Wheat
- 1 cup grated Grana Padano cheese
- Add Post Shredded Wheat to a food processor. Pulse on/off until cereal resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Tie the bunch of thyme and sprigs of rosemary together with clean kitchen string. In a large widemouth stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic and herbs, and cook until the onion is soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Remove and discard the garlic and herbs.
- Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute until liquid is smooth, no lumps. Gradually whisk in the milk and cream, then the mustard. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheddar, a handful at a time, waiting until each addition is completely melted before adding more. Season with the nutmeg and add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the pasta, and the chopped thyme and heat through until the pasta is well coated and seasoned, about 5 minutes. Adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Pour the mixture into a casserole dish or individual ovenproof gratin dishes. Sprinkle the top(s) with a generous layer of coarsely ground Post Shredded Wheat then a layer of Grana Padano, then another layer of Post Shredded Wheat.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly and crispy.