Grape-Nuts® Baked Meatloaf Recipe
The secret ingredient to the best baked meatloaf? Grape-Nuts cereal! Snag this unique recipe below.
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 large Spanish onion
- 2 pounds ground beef, lean
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 cup Grape-Nuts Cereal
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp horseradish, prepared (strained)
- 1 tsp worchestershire
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup + ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsly, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare baking sheet with silpat (silicone baking mat) or parchment paper.
- In large skillet over medium heat, sweat onions and garlic in canola oil until soft and translucent (no color). Remove from heat and transfer to plate. Cool in refrigerator.
- In small mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and egg yolks. Add Grape Nuts, milk, horseradish and Worcestershire. Stir to incorporate. Allow to set for 10-15 minutes for Grape Nuts to soften.
- In large mixing bowl, mix together ground beef and ground pork with hands until incorporated. Add cooled onion mixture, ketchup, salt, pepper, herbs and Grape Nuts mixture. Mix well.
Note: To test for seasoning, make a small meat patty (2-inch diameter) and sauté in skillet. Allow to cool and taste for seasoning. If under-seasoned, add more salt and/or pepper. Once combined, transfer the meatloaf mixture to the prepared baking sheet and firmly form into a brick shape, about 2 to 3-inches high by 5-inches wide. Meat should be compact, not loose. Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes. Remove meatloaf from oven and brush the remaining ¼ cup ketchup over the top of the loaf. Return to oven and continue baking for 15-25 minutes more, until internal temperature reaches 160°F. Remove from oven and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and chives.