Grape-Nuts Spicy Vegetarian Chili
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers*, finely chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup Grape Nuts Cereal
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes*
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Reduced-fat cheddar cheese, reduced-fat sour cream, green onion, additional Grape-Nuts cereal
Reduced-fat cheddar cheese, reduced-fat sour cream, green onion, additional Grape-Nuts cereal
Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat; add celery, onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring, until vegetables soften, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
Stir in chipotle peppers, tomatoes, black and cannellini beans, vegetable broth, Grape-Nuts cereal, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, thyme, red pepper flakes and black pepper to taste.
Heat to a boil over medium-high heat; lower heat to a simmer. Cover; cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
*Note: If you prefer a spicier chili, keep the seeds inside the chipotle peppers and use 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes. If you prefer a milder version, remove the seeds from the chipotle peppers before adding them to the chili and use only 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes.