Grape-Nuts Eggplant Parmesan
- 2/3 cup Post Grape-Nuts cereal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (divided use)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large eggplant (about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lbs)
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cover a baking sheet with non-stick foil; set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, combine Grape-Nuts, 1 teaspoon of the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and fennel seed. Process until ground. Combine with Parmesan cheese in a shallow dish and set aside.
- Slice eggplant into 1/4-inch slices. Whisk egg whites and place in a shallow dish. Dip both sides of each eggplant slice first into egg whites and then into Grape-Nuts mixture, shaking off any excess. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned, about 20 to 25 minutes, flipping once.
- Meanwhile in a blender or food processor, combine diced tomatoes, tomato paste, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning and black pepper.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch baking pan. Top with half of the prepared eggplant slices. Top with another 1/2 cup of sauce and 1/2 cup of cheese. Layer with remaining eggplant slices, remaining sauce and remaining cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling, about 10 to 15 minutes.