Whole Wheat Grape-Nuts Waffles with Warm Pear Compote
Warm Pear and Raisin Compote:
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup dark raisins
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1 Tablespooon brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Whole Wheat Grape-Nuts Waffles:
- 3/4 cup Post Grape-Nuts cereal
- 1-1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups skim milk
- 6 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- In a medium saucepan, combine pears, raisins, juice, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until juice is thickened and pears are soft, about 10 minutes. Keep warm over low heat while preparing the waffles.
- In a blender or food processor, process Grape-Nuts until ground. In a large bowl, combine ground cereal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add milk, oil and eggs and combine until smooth. Let batter rest 5 minutes before using.
- Preheat waffle iron to medium heat. Pour batter into the center of the lower grid; spread batter using a heatproof spatula to within 1/2 inch of the edge of the grid. Close lid of waffle iron and cook for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Open lid and carefully remove baked waffle. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve immediately, topped with warm compote.