Crunchy Pecan-Banana Coffee Cake Muffins
- 1/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup Great Grains Crunchy Pecan cereal
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 ripe bananas (14 ounces total), peeled
- 1 cup plain lowfat yogurt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/4 cups Great Grains Crunchy Pecan cereal
For the streusel:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners.
- Toss the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl to blend.
- Stir in the oil and maple syrup. Stir in the cereal. Set the streusel aside.
For the batter:
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium bowl to blend.
- Using a fork, coarsely mash the bananas in a large bowl.
- Stir in the yogurt, oil, and egg white.
- Add the dry ingredients to the yogurt mixture and stir just until blended.
- Stir in the cereal. The batter will be thick.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cups.
- Sprinkle the streusel over, gently pressing it into the top of the batter.
- Bake until a tester inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes in the pan on a cooling rack.
- Remove the muffins from the pan and cool completely on the rack.
- The muffins can be made 1 day ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.