Green Bean and Almond Au Gratin
- 1 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/2 a medium onion, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 tsp. flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds Cereal
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease 9-inch square baking dish with butter; set aside. Add beans to saucepan of lightly salted boiling water; cook 2 to 3 min. or until beans are bright green and crisp-tender. Rinse with cold water; drain.
- Cook bacon in large skillet on medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet, reserving 2 Tbsp. of the bacon drippings in skillet. Place bacon on paper towels to drain. Add onions to bacon drippings in skillet; cook and stir 3 min. or until onions are tender. Reduce heat to low. Add flour; stir until mixture forms a thick paste. Gradually add milk, stirring until well blended. Continue to cook until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Remove skillet from heat. Add cheese; stir until melted. Season with salt, nutmeg and pepper.
- Place beans in prepared baking dish; cover with the cheese sauce. Crumble bacon; sprinkle over cheese sauce. Top with the cereal and almonds. Bake 15 min. or until top is golden brown and sauce is hot and bubbly.